Monday, March 31, 2014

Five weeks

In two days it will have been five weeks since my surgery.  I have found that if I keep my ankle elevated I do not need to take much for pain.  It's hard to be sure with this cast but I believe some of my discomfort is due to swelling.  When I see the doctor next week I should get a walking cast that I can take off.  That means I will be able to use ice to control swelling and not just elevation, allowing me a little more freedom to go out and do things, knowing that relief won't be as difficult to find.

I also hope that I will get some good physical therapy instruction and that permission to get in the pool will be granted as well. Two or three times a week in the pool will feel great!  It will also get me out of the house and outside.  Now that the weather is warming up I am excited about having the chance to enjoy it. I bought a quad chair with a built-in footrest.  The doctor says my ankle will swell for up to a year, so the chair will come in handy for outdoor concerts, soccer games, campimg, etc.  I can hardly wait to use it.

So, for now, I am feeling well.  I don't have any real pain - more like discomfort.  I can get around fairly well on my scooter or crutches and even do okay getting the scooter up and down the front steps if necessary. Being allowed to put weight on the foot will make all that even easier.  Bit by bit my life is getting back to normal.

No comments:

Post a Comment